Tuesday, 16 September 2008
The police have confirmed that a man held last Thursday is an escapee from the Horizon Remand Centre in Kingston.
Detective Sergeant Jubert Llewellyn, Spokesman for Operation Kingfish told RJR News that the man has been identified as Omar Campbell otherwise called ‘Damion Dennis'.
He said the police had to rely on fingerprints to confirm the Campbell's identity as when he was held, his appearance had been significantly altered.
He was held in Knollis in Bog Walk, St. Catherine along with Sophia Fraser Wright, who has been charged with harbouring a fugitive.
At the time of his escape in April of this year, Campbell was serving terms of three years for unlawful wounding; 10 years for robbery; 10 years for illegal possession of a firearm and 15 years for wounding with intent.
He has now been slapped with the additional charge of escaping custody.
Three held with guns still in custody
Meanwhile Detective Sergeant Llewellyn said three of six men who were held in Cuban waters last year remain in custody despite being offered bail.
The men, Andrew Reid, Kenrick Bennett and Richard Braham were held along with Antonio Banton, Gilbert Dennis and Lumsden Legister in a boat containing 10 firearms.
A January 19 trial date was set when the men appeared in court on Monday.
While bail amounting to $450,000 bails was offered to each of them, only Mr. Banton, Mr. Dennis and Mr. Legister have taken up their offers.
The police allege that the men had travelled to Haiti with ganja which they exchanged for guns.
On their return, the boat developed engine trouble and drifted into Cuban waters, where they were arrested and turned over to the Jamaican police.
They were charged with conspiracy to import guns into Jamaica and conspiracy to export ganja to Haiti.